Budget 2022: Turbocharging Territory Tourism and Events
- 09 May 2022
The boost will re-establish the Territory’s domestic and global appeal through destination marketing, and importantly, re-instate international visitation through targeted activities.
- An extra $14.2 million for direct tourism marketing over the next 12 months;
- $1.3 million to attract and retain tourism workforce;
- $2 million to open a third round of the hugely-successful Roadhouse to Recovery Grant program
- $1.9 million to support the implementation of the NT Aboriginal Tourism Strategy 2020 - 2030
- And a further $1 million for International marketing by Study NT and NT Business Events
Rounds one and two of Roadhouse to Recovery generated $15.8 million in co-contributions, and hundreds of jobs for local tradies right across the Territory. Round three applications will officially open tomorrow.
In addition, $27.9 million will support Northern Territory Major Events Company, to continue delivering world-class and unique events which draw in visitors from all over the globe, including:
- Continuation of the 10 day Parrtjima – A Festival in Light in Alice Springs
- An annual NRL Premiership game for the Territory
- Elevated support and continued growth for BASSINTHEGRASS, Darwin Supercars and Red CentreNATS
- Elevated support and continued growth for Territory events including $2.7 million in funding for community events and festivals
The Northern Territory Government is delivering its Tourism Comeback Plan grow holiday visitor expenditure to between $1.46 billion and $1.79 billion by 2030.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Major Events and Tourism, Natasha Fyles:
“We want to ensure we have the strongest support possible, to bring back domestic and international leisure visitation and a strong leisure and business events focus.
“With key sectors coming back online, including airline partners, the cruise sector, and key niche sectors such as the youth market, adventure seekers and drive holidays, we want people to come to the Territory to reconnect and enjoy our beautiful landscapes and unique events experiences.
“Budget 2022-23 delivers the strong message that we are open for business.”