Education sector activation plan
In line with the Tourism Vision 2020 objectives to grow the value of the visitor economy, address supply constraints and improve the visitor experience, Tourism NT has developed a Australian School Education Tourism Activation Plan.
Tourism NT is working with tour operators to align tourism experiences with the Australian Curriculum, launched at the beginning of the 2014 school year. This process will assure educators that a school excursion to the Northern Territory will result in real education outcomes aligned to learning areas, general capabilities and cross-curriculum priorities.
Building on the Northern Territory’s rich indigenous culture, pristine natural environment and the Top End’s geographic location as the gateway to Asia, Tourism NT is assisting interested operators to align their tourism product with the Australian Curriculum’s cross-curriculum priorities:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Culture
- Asia, and Australia’s Engagement with Asia
Tourism NT’s School Education Tourism Activation Plan explains the complexities and opportunities of working in the education sector, and lays out four key focus areas:
- Preparing the local tourism industry for school education tourism and developing experiences that align with the Australian Curriculum
- Fostering productive collaboration across stakeholder groups to drive continuous improvement in addressing the needs of the education tourism sector
- Positioning the Northern Territory as Australia’s leading education tourism region for Year 6-10 students
- Representing the Territory’s school education tourism interests at the national level.
Download a copy of the Australian School Education Tourism Activation Plan.
The education sector includes various segments related to students who travel to the NT. Tourism NT is focusing on domestic school excursions initially, with plans to explore opportunities to target the international education sector in the future.
For further information about Tourism NT’s work in the education sector, please contact [email protected].