It's About Time...Do the NT
In July 2015, Tourism launched a new campaign that builds on the Do the NT brand: It's About Time...Do the NT
The new campaign includes three new television commercials and is designed to boost the awareness of the Northern Territory to the target segment of consumers who are considering booking a holiday to the NT 'one day'. This large group of people are called 'Considerers' and are not currently paying attention to our advertising.
The new campaign targets this segment by creating a sense of urgency with the message of: 'Go now before it is too late'. Instead of 'one day', we want this group of people to book a holiday to the NT 'today'.
The commercial breaks the mould of normal tourism ads, featuring ordinary people in their everyday lives who reflect about older relatives and loved ones who have 'gone to a better place'.
In a humorous twist, the better place is revealed to be the Northern Territory with the closing tagline of: ‘Go now, regret never’ encouraging viewers to book a holiday to the NT before they run out of time.
The new campaign heralds a new direction for Tourism NT's advertising as we are no longer just promoting aspirational and enticing images of the Northern Territory but are addressing people's barriers to travel to the NT in a much more obvious and humorous way.
Watch the commercials
The commercial features original music from Alice Springs musician Dave Crowe and includes separate television commercials promoting both the Top End and Red Centre.
It's About Time...Do the NT whole of Northern Territory extended cut:
Top End commercial:
Red Centre commercial:
The new major campaign includes free-to-air TV, pay TV, cinemas, outdoor advertising, YouTube, social media and co-operative campaigns with retail and airline partners. Digital and print ads will promote regional areas of the NT like Darwin, Kakadu, Katherine, Alice Springs and Uluru.
The initial campaign will be in market for six weeks and will be led by the TV commercials for the first three weeks followed by the print and digital media for the remaining three weeks. This staggered media approach will allow the public to see the characters and understand the story before the messaging is reinforced through digital and print media.
To help convert interest into actual holiday bookings, the campaign includes three travel partners that will be in market to leverage and extend the campaign's reach. Territory Discoveries will lead off with packages designed to disperse travel across the Territory, Qantas follows with a campaign designed to promote airfares and Flight Centre will help encourage bookings towards the end of the campaign period.
How to get involved
Below are some helpful tips you can use to help promote your own tourism business in conjunction with the new campaign.
- Northernterritory.com is the ‘call to action’ that the campaign will drive the consumers to so ensure your listing is accurate by updating your ATDW information.
- If you have TXA enabled as a booking distributor make sure you update your information, if you do not have TXA enabled now is a good time.
- Build the campaign key messages of: Do the NT, It's About Time and Go now, regret never into your website and advertising to connect to the campaign and leverage off the exposure it will generate.
- To ensure you are in the mix when the travel partner packages are in market contact your wholesalers and distribution partners to make sure you are listed and/or have a deal in market.
- Finally, if you have any budget for marketing, now is a good time to leverage off the awareness and intent Tourism NT’s $1.4million worth of advertising will create. With an average domestic lead time of between 6-12 weeks for Australians to decide to book and arrive, now is the time to be looking at attracting consumers to travel in the September/October/November months.
HOT TIP: For cost effective marketing look into Google Adwords and use some of the key words in the new campaign.
Find out more
For further information on marketing opportunities available with the It's About Time...Do the NT campaign or for any assistance, contact Tourism NT at firstname.lastname@example.org